Brings to full and rich life the extraordinary characters, events and challenges that have made Qantas an Australian icon.
From its earliest days, Qantas has attracted its fair share of unusual challenges and unique characters. These are the stories of a great airline and the people who made it, told by a man who has Qantas blood running through his veins. They are hilarious, nostalgic, heroic and sometimes even odd.
They are about the brilliant risk takers who made Qantas the safest airline in the world, the special demands of flying VIPs, the hazards of overseas postings, and the ever present dangers of the skies. But above all, these are the stories of how a uniquely Australian style shaped the best airline in the English-speaking world.
Generous and richly told, The Flying Kangaroo is a warm-hearted reminder why Qantas remains such an important part of the Australian psyche.
'Everyone who has even flown will enjoy The Flying Kangaroo. These are stories of passion and dedication, of risk and resilience, of excellence and Australian larrikinism, of inventiveness and determination. They reflect my pride for an airline that connected the world and became a national icon.' - Captain Richard Champion de Crespigny, Pilot In Command and author of QF32.
Jim Eames is author of The Country Undertaker, Six Feet Under or Up in Smoke and Taking to the Skies. As one of Australia's first aviation writers, and former press secretary to the Minister for Aviation and former Director of Public Affairs for Qantas, he is a man who has lived and breathed aviation. He also tells a great yarn.
Table Of Contents:
IT'S A CULTURE THING
1. We're off to polish the engines
THE IMPORTANCE OF THE RIGHT CHOICE
2. The Pregnant Pup
3. The Nadi 'bump'
4. Taim Bilong Balus
5. 'Skippy Squadron'
6. Cyclone Tracy
SAFETY IS NO ACCIDENT
7. Training at the Bay of Pigs
8. 'Qantas never crashes'
9. Dangerous skies
10. Two minutes of terror over the Middle East
11. Battling the elements
AN AIRLINE FULL OF CHARACTERS
12. Life was never dull
13. Postings . . . not all milk and honey
14. Spies, bombs and bicycles
15. Penny pinching and clashing personalities
16. Flaws among the brilliance
17. Gum trees from wheel wells
18. Not your normal passenger service
19. Gough . . . and other 'royals'
20. The return of the Gallipoli veterans
21. How to smuggle a future princess
A CHALLENGING BUSINESS
22. Strikes and fuel . . . a lethal combination
23. When the wheels fell off the tricycle and other political problems
24. Red tails and blue tails . . . the story of a reverse takeover
Allen & Unwin
Allen & Unwin
Paperback - B format
0 - 0